Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Member Login Join Free Today

Forum Home  »» Blog comments

This Forum: Is it worth paying extra for
I bought a tube of Vasari oil paint. Very expensive. Was it worth the extra. Personally, no, I don't think so. Do you think it's worth paying extra for top oil and watercolor brands? Do you have any recommendations, or colors that you find particularly useful?
Started: 19th August 2011

You are not permitted to add a new forum or post replies. Login now to post

elizabeth ellison  Joined: 05/02/2013 | Member Level: 1 | Posts: 2
#3 Posted: 5th February 2013 - 12:52:39 
In paints you do get what you pay for and if you limit the number of colors (pigments) you use the extra expense for these is well worth the price.  I have painted and taught watercolor for over 40 years and my advice is to paint with the a warm and a cool of each of the primaries and so this means you would only need 6 colors (in watercolor--in other mediums you may need to add white but never black).  Further advice is to pick a professional grade brand (not student-grade paint) that you like and stick with that because pigment colors are not the same with every or most brands. In watercolor I use Windsor & Newton professional grade paints and they are 100% reliable.  As to the one tube of Vasari oil--Why?  You would then need to buy all Vasari and if you cannot afford them, change to a different brand that is a good brand but that you can afford.  Also all brands of paint do not necessarily mix well with one another as colors within a brand may not make a good mix depending on the inherent qualities of the pigments.  None of this is hard if you stick to one professional brand and a few colors--try even just using the 3 primaries.  Simple!

gallery/studio in the Great Smoky Mountains Bryson City NC28713 www.elizabethellisonwatercolors.com 

Lesley Jennings  Joined: 07/01/2013 | Member Level: 1 | Posts: 5
#7 Posted: 13th February 2013 - 05:53:17 
I use oil pastels a lot now I started off with a student grade and there was a lot of crumbs I then went on to Caran d'ache Neopastels and Sennelier and what a difference, I do  have artist quality gouache but only student quality watercolour and acrylic, when my tubes run out I will replace them with artist quality Lesley Jennings

«« Oldest Posts  |  « Previous Posts  |  Next Posts »  |  Most Recent Posts »»

Showing page 1 of 1 pages.